|Straight Talk - "Highly Honored Team"|
July 18, 2013
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
Success breeds success, and here at NCH, the recognition from independent third parties just keeps rolling in, as testimony to the competence, compassion, and care of this wonderful team.
- U. S. News & World Report recognized NCH for the third consecutive year as our region’s only hospital to win Regional Recognition and be among the Best Hospitals in Southern Florida. NCH was also recognized for high performance in orthopedics and ranked 22nd overall among Florida’s approximately 310 hospitals. Just 3% of all hospitals earn a U.S. News national ranking in any specialty.
- Most Wired for 2013 recognized NCH for the second year in a row as a healthcare system that has come the furthest in implementing information technology to transform care in our community. This objective survey, in its 15th year, polled 1,713 hospitals who volunteered among the 5,500 hospitals in the country. Again, we are the only hospital in the region and one of 11 in Florida to receive this award. (http://www.hhnmostwired.com/winners/index.dhtml)
- The Society for Thoracic Surgery awarded NCH the top rating of three stars for our coronary artery bypass surgery (open heart surgery for blocked arteries) for the third year in a row. NCH is the only hospital in the region to be so designated. We won two stars for aortic valve replacement with no in-hospital mortality, which is remarkably good, according to outside experts. http://www.sts.org/report-search-hospital-results-2013?page=21
- Becker's Hospital Review named NCH among"100 Great Community Hospitals," a list based on hospitals' quality of care and service to community. We are the only hospital system in the region to be given this designation. Becker's selected community hospitals based on rankings and awards from iVantage Health Analytics, Truven Health Analytics (formerly Thomson Reuters), Healthgrades and The Joint Commission. (http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/lists/100-great-community-hospitals.html)
- The Leapfrog Group, which rates hospitals on quality and safety, gave NCH a “B” this year. We are working hard to earn an “A” next year, as we understand where we have opportunity to have only Board Certified Intensivists care for patients in our intensive care units. We continue to do well on the remaining objective metrics that Leapfrog employs and do have the highest “grade” in our region. (http://www.leapfroggroup.org/)
- Finally, our nurses “validated,” in a confidential vote, their advancement in the Pathway to Excellence Program, a major step to becoming a Magnet Hospital. NCH is the third hospital system in Florida, the 107th in the nation and once again the only one in the region to receive this prestigious designation. To qualify, organizations must meet 12 practice standards essential to an ideal nursing practice environment. Applicants conduct a review process to fully document the integration of those standards in the organization's practices, policies and culture. Pathway designation can only be achieved if an organization's nurses validate the data and other evidence submitted, via an independent, confidential survey. Nurses trust that Pathway-designated organizations respect nursing contributions, support professional development and nurture optimal practice environments. (http://www.nursecredentialing.org/Pathway)
In the most challenging time ever in the history of healthcare, our 3,924 colleagues, 647 physicians, 1,100 volunteers, and 17 Board members are working together seamlessly so we can all live longer, happier, and healthier lives. I am so proud to be a small part of this great—and highly honored—team.
Allen S. Weiss, M.D., President and CEO
You may contact Dr. Allen Weiss
and The NCH Healthcare System
by clicking here: