|Straight Talk - "Leadership"|
December 19, 2013
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
For the eighth year, NCH made a strong showing at last week’s annual meeting of the Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI). The 37-member NCH contingent, led by Board Chair Mariann MacDonald, Vice Chair Tom Gazdic, Board members Drs. Hermes Koop and John Lewis, and President of the Medical Staff Dr. Jeff Heitmann, delivered these 18 poster boards demonstrating our innovation, quality, and safety.
- “Changing the Game Plan for Discharge,” Marie Hageman, BSN, RN, CVRN-BC; Angela DeVaney, RN, CVRN-BC; Kevin Smith, RN, CNML, CVRN-BC
- “Teaching Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to Visitors,” Julia Amundson, RN; LuAnn Laux, BSN, RN, OCN; Carolyn Smith, BSN, RN, OCN
- “Quiet in the House!” Marcia Swasey, RN-BC, CNML; Meredith Burt, MSN, RN; Michael Pangburn, RN; Magali Bacci, BSN, RN; Dayna Finn Lendsey, RN; Michelle Bauer, CT; Russell Hoffman, CT
- “Video Surveillance: Improving Safety and Quality While Reducing Expenses,” Jordan Mayberry, RN; Helen Einer, MSN, RN; Elizabeth Flick, BSN RN
- “Smart Room Technology: Giving Time Back to the Nurse,” Peter Olsen, RN; Sherry Ames, RN; Elizabeth Gutierrez, RN; Marcia Grant, RN; Ian Laroche, RN; Noam Goldberg, RN; Beth Brown, RN; Bethanie Vesley, RN; Randy Olscamp, RN; Jeff Jackson, LPN; Erica Szczepkowski, MSN, MBA, RN
- “Eliminating the NAUTI CAUTI: Collaboration and Evidence-Based Protocols Drive Prevention Gains,” Maureen Baldia, BSN, RN, CNS-BC; Jennifer Ringle, MSA, RN, CCRN, CNML
- “Dated Color-coded Labels Cue Nurses to Adhere to Central Line Connection Change,” Theresa Morrison, PhD, CNS; Jan Foglesong, BSN, RN; Christina Laney, BSN, RN, CVRN-BC
- “Going Vertical: Level 3 Fast Track,” Wendell McClurg, RN; Jill Zollar, RN; Julie Stoner, RN; Elisabeth Novakovich, RN, MSN, CEN, EMTP; Jeffrey Panozzo, MD
- “M E D S: Medication Education Direct and Simple,” Anna Reynolds, RN; Sasha Takala, BSN, RN; Kim Diaz, BSN, RN; Patricia Sutton, BSHA, RN-BC, CNML
- “Patient Comments Drive Discharge Strategies,” Patty Haines, BS, RN, ONC; Esther Stanis, BSN, RN; Erin Raney, BSN, RN, CNML
- “Medication Education,” S. Conway; K. Andrews-Dapper, RN; E. Leaser, RN; J. Vinck, RN; V. Rodriguez, RN; A. Avila, RN; C. Galligan, RN; H. VanCleave, G. Galarza, RN; E. Szczepkowski, MSN, MBA, RN
- “Reducing Harm From Anticoagulation Therapy,” Maria Esposito, BS, Pharm.D.; Laurence Bosse, Pharm.D., MBA, BCPS; Sheila Markham, MS, RPh.; Barbara Bixby, MS, ARNP; Kim Thorp, MBA, RPh.
- “Putting on the Pressure: Management and Prevention of Pressure Ulcer for the Acute Rehabilitation Patient,” Nancy Davison, RN; Jennifer Miller LPN; Maria Feola, BA, RN
- “From VAP to VAE: Implementing the 2013 CDC/NHSN VAE Guidelines in Critical Care,” C. Raphael, RN, BSN; D. Brooklier, RN, MSN; D. Harrington, DO; J. Kling, RN, BSN; K. Gutierrez, RRT; G. Kruedelbach, RN, MSN; J. Ringle, RN, MSa; M. Seawright, RRT; N. Walker, RN, BSN; S. Wiley, RRT
- “Continuous Quality Improvement: Heart Failure Core Measures and Computer Generated Palliative Care Triggers,” S. Brown, ARNP-BC; M. Harper, M. Div, G. Kolegue, ARNP-BC; P. Mitchell, MD; C. Ralli, LCSW
- “Improving Time to Therapeutic Vancomycin Trough,” Maria Esposito, BS, Pharm.D.; Laurence Bosse, Pharm.D., MBA; BCPS; Greg Hughes, BS, Pharm.D.; Sheila Markham, MS, RPh.; Kim Thorp, MBA, RPh.
- “Leveraging the Electronic Health Record to Reduce Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis,” G. Kruedelbach, MSN, RN, CIC; G. McGinnis, MSN, RN; J. Kling, BSN, RN; B. Desrosiers, RN; M. Powers, MSN, RN-BC, CNML; E. Novokovich, MSN, RN, CEN, EMT-P
- “Team Approach to Reducing Surgical Site Infections in Hip and Knee Total Joint Replacement Proceedures,” G. Kruedelbach, MSN, RN, CIC; J. Rogers, RN; M. Miller, RN; S.Graziano, RN, MSN, OCN, NE-BC, CNAT; H. Dill, RN; E. Raney, BSN, RN, CNML; B. Diamond, RN, BSN, CNOR
That’s what we mean by NCH “leadership.” Congratulations to all presenters. You’ve done us proud!
Allen S. Weiss, M.D., President and CEO
You may contact Dr. Allen Weiss
and The NCH Healthcare System
by clicking here: