Who Can Donate Blood
Call the Blood Drive Hotline (239) 624-4120 for a monthly listing of blood drives or visit our Blood Center Calendar page. Blood drive dates and times are subject to change.
A Few BasicsBasically, you can donate blood if you are 17 or older, weigh at least 110 pounds and are in good health. 16 year olds may be able to give blood with parent present. Contrary to popular belief, senior citizen status does not disqualify you. THERE IS NO UPPER AGE LIMIT FOR DONATING BLOOD. Good health means you should have no cold, flu or sore throat symptoms.
Blood Pressure: We test every donor to make sure his or her blood pressure is within the range we can accept. There are no restrictions if your blood pressure is controlled by medication.
Iron Level: Your blood must contain an adequate iron level. The iron level will be checked on the day of your donation. Click here for iron rich food list: documents/Diet High in Iron.doc
Cancer: You may donate blood if you have had certain types of cancer and have been free of disease for 12 months, or if you have had completely removed skin cancer that required only local treatment. You cannot donate if you have had blood related cancers or lymphoma or if it you have had cancer or cancer treatment including surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy within one year.
Seasonal Flu Shots: No deferral period
Ear & Body Piercing: There is not a waiting period if ear piercing is performed by the gun method and no infection occurs. You must wait one year after having other body piercing.
Tattoos: Effective October 1, 2013
If tattoo was acquired after Jan. 1, 2013 in Florida - 2 week deferral and fully healed
If tattoo was acquired before Jan. 1, 2013 in Florida - 12 month deferral
If tattoo was acquired outside of Florida, contact the Community Blood Center to determine your eligibility.
Hepatitis: We cannot accept blood from anyone who has had hepatitis after age 10. If you have had close contact with someone who has had hepatitis, we must defer your donation for a year.
Medication: Prescribed medications don’t necessarily disqualify you. Our nursing staff can determine your eligibility during the medical history taken before you donate. Or you may call one of our donor centers in advance.
YOU CANNOT DONATE IF:
- You are currently taking antibiotics. (You can donate 24 hours after the last dose was taken)
- You have traveled to or lived in the United Kingdom for 3 months or more between 1980 and 1996.
- You have received a blood transfusion in the United Kingdom between 1980 and the present.
- You have traveled to or lived in Europe for 5 years or more between 1980 and the present.
- Between 1980 –1990 you were military personnel or dependent residing at a U.S base in Northern Europe for 6 months or more ( Germany , United Kingdom , Belgium , Netherlands ).
- Between 1980 –1996 you were military personnel or dependent residing at a U.S base elsewhere in Europe ( Greece , Turkey , Spain , Italy , Portugal ).
Just a Few Minutes of Your Time
- It takes less than an hour to donate blood, from the time you arrive to the time you leave.
- Follow your usual diet and meal schedule before coming to donate.
- You’ll need photo identification and our staff will ask you medical history questions.
- Then a mini-physical will be done to measure your blood pressure, pulse, temperature and red blood cell level.
- Once you have registered and your eligibility has been determined, we’ll conduct the actual blood collection. It’s a simple procedure that lasts approximately five to seven minutes. You may resume your usual daily activities after you leave.
- You may return in eight weeks to donate again.
If you still have questions about your eligibility or the blood donation procedure, please contact the Community Blood Center at (239) 624-4120.
Phone: (239) 624-4120
Fax: (239) 624-4121
NCH Medical Plaza
311 9th Street
Naples, FL 34102
View a map of this location
Hours: Mon: 8 AM-5 PM
Tues: 11 AM-7 PM
Wed.-Fri: 8 AM-5 PM
Therapuetic & autologous phlebotomies by appointment
Effective Oct. 1, 2013 operational hours will change to:
Mon. Wed. Thurs. & Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 PM
Tues. 11 AM - 7 PM
Free Valet Parking is available for donors