Family Centered Care at the BirthPlace
We, at The BirthPlace, know that your pregnancy and the birth of your baby should be among the most memorable of experiences for you and your entire family. For that reason, our comprehensive team of experienced obstetricians, perinatologists, pediatricians, neonatologists, anesthesiologists, nursing and professionals in the ancillary services are focused on comfort and safety for you and your baby. We believe that Quality is couched in our flexibility to involve you and your family in the decisions and choices throughout your experience, guiding you with our commitment to your health and that of your baby.
Featured services at The BirthPlace include:
- Extensive childbirth education programs which cover a full array of classes for expectant parents, grandparents, siblings, C Section classes, infant care and infant CPR.
- 5 Triage rooms for labor checks, preadmission visits, admissions, outpatient visits
- Spacious private labor suites with state-of-the-art fetal monitoring
- 24 hours on site Anesthesia/epidural service to manage labor comfort and to be available for emergencies
- Surgical suites located within the BirthPlace for C Sections, with adjacent Recovery area
- Progressive Care Rooms for Moms with complications during any point of her pregnancy or afterward
- Extensive commitment to uninterrupted skin to skin for the full “golden hour” after both vaginal deliveries and cesarean sections to benefit both mom and baby
- 18 bed Level II NICU with state of the art technology staffed with 24 hour on site neonatologists for babies with complications.
- Family centered care that encourages 24 hour rooming in for Mom with her baby in the privacy of spacious rooms, where Dad can also be comfortable in a sleeper chair, with wireless Internet connection and guest meals available
- Family kitchen areas provide refrigerators and microwaves
- Princess suites are even larger and include amenities and their own
refrigerator and microwave (surcharge upon request for room)
- Well born Nursery on the Mother Baby Unit
- Board certified Lactation consultants and lactation certified nursing staff to encourage and support exclusive breast feeding and provide support while in the hospital
- Dedicated Social Worker
- On site Newborn Hearing Screening
- Birth Registrar
- On site Newborn Photography Service
The Birthplace is a strong supporter of exclusive breastfeeding and the Baby Friendly initiative. Besides providing the best nutrition for your baby (extensive research has established that breast milk is the superior method of feeding your baby), it’s a wonderful way to bond with and comfort your baby. Breastfed babies receive immunities from their mothers and have a lower risk of SIDS, diabetes, obesity and asthma. Mothers who breastfeed will reduce their risk for both ovarian and breast cancer, and osteoporosis long term.
To start you out right, our Lactation Center offers a full array of services to you and your family:
Full time lactation care and information throughout the week and rounds on Saturday and Sunday
Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- Taught by one of our board certified lactation consultants, this program addresses the many benefits of breastfeeding. Topics include: proper latch and positioning, establishment of your milk supply and common questions and concerns. All the information you need to help you and your baby successfully breastfeed.
- Prenatal Class Registration
The NICU within the BirthPlace is the only neonatal intensive care unit in Collier County.
- Provides state of the art and compassionate family centered care for premature and ill newborns
- Has 24 hour a day in house board certified neonatologist coverage (pediatricians who have extra training in taking care of premature and seriously ill newborns)
- Staffed with neonatal ICU trained nurses and respiratory therapists
- Has pediatric pharmacy and pediatric dietary support, and a pediatric occupational therapy service with a certified feeding specialist
- Lactation support services are available after your discharge. Breast pumps are located in a private lactation suite within the NICU for your convenience.
- Angel eye video camera system giving you and your designated friends and family 24 hour access to view your newborn from your laptop, computer, tablet or smart phone. Access to this viewing is secure and totally controlled by you.
- Social service managers to assist you upon discharge
- Rooming in support for parents prior to discharge
- “Snuggler” volunteer services when medically stable to hold the babies when families are not able to be there all of the time.